Thursday, August 1, 2013

The New Kid In Town

With in the last week, we have had a new neighbor. I have seen two pairs of these hawks setting up habitat across the street. There is are two large power pole across the street that does not have any transformers on them. A pair of hawks will sit on top of both poles and talk to each other for hours at a time. Yesterday was the first time that I had good light to photograph this one. I and watched for an hour for the bird to open its wings, fly away etc. It just simply sat on the pole content as could be. There were small bird in the tree ten feet away, the hawk just observed. Most mornings and evenings they are on the poles, during the day they seem to go into the trees. Many times during the daytime we can hear them, but not see them. We have search for the nest, but have not found it yet, probably will not see it until the leaves come off the trees.        
 Anything interesting down there? 
 Look to the right
 Then to the left 
It is getting dark, I think I will move over to the tree.
Shared with Sky Watch Friday

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. I contacted some one from the Peregrine fund this morning, it is a juvenile Swainson's Hawk

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I was able to confirm that it is a juvenile Swainson's Hawk

      Delete
  3. Great shots of the hawks! And the image of the steps going up the hill is a fantastic piece of photo art1

    ReplyDelete
  4. What excellent photos of the hawks. We have a lot of them in my area, but they are not as cooperative as yours when it comes to having their photo taken. I am determined to get a good shot yet! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Heather thank you for visiting. I have never had a bird pose for over an hour before, it has been great. It returns to the same place every morning and evening.

      Delete
  5. These are excellent photos, and it would be really fun to follow the hawk activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. I hope they hang around for a while, they have been a lot of fun. This morning would have been the perfect capture if I had my camera. The bird was on the same pole just stretching it wings, the sunrise was right behind it.

      Delete
  6. What great neighbours to have! Can't wait to see if you get them in full flight. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for visiting. The update is that this has been identified as a juvenile male Swainson's Hawk. I still have not seen it up close in flight, but it does soar over an alley we have next to our house. If I remember in the morning, I will take my camera out first thing in the morning. It is such a great contrast of it sitting on its pole and the sunrise coming up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by, I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...