Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Tale Of Two Urban Farms



 Spaulding Ranch:
It is the last remaining "Farm" left in the City of Boise. It is a 20 acre parcel right in the heart of the Boise 
 bench. It was a homestead founded by Doctor Mary E. Spaulding in 1896. Doctor Spaulding was Boise's first female Doctor / Surgeon. It was a cattle ranch up until 2010. It has recently been sold to a developer who wants to subdivide it for homes.     


The two photos above were taken at an old, abandoned farm in the city of Meridian, Idaho. This farm just one block away from Downtown & across the street from the city's only post office. It was farmed until 2010. The top photo was a chicken coop and the bottom photo was home to 6 or 7 horses. Rumor has it that the city  closed this down due to poor conditions for the animals. The house was boarded up and is abandoned at this same time. Meridian is just outside of Boise and the third largest city in the state.    



                                                          Barn Charm
                                                                    Bluffareadaily

15 comments:

  1. I hope they don't subdivide. :(
    You should link up to Barn Charm on Tuesday at Bluff Area Daily's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the conditions of the Meridian barns, it might be a good thing that the animals and chickens were removed. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why they closed the last 2 down. Looks like pretty poor conditions for any animals.
    The first farm is a very pretty place. I hope they don't subdivide it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, great grouping. so lovely. love the leaning one ...such character. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Your grouping on your blog are great as well.

      Delete
  5. It would be a shame to lose the Spaulding homestead to development. Such a lovely place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots! I love the old white house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went onto your blog, your work is beautiful. I am going to follow your blog. Thank you for your comments, and have a Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  7. I so wish I had the money to buy this and keep it as is! That is a beautiful home...and sounds like it has historic worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had the money I would buy it as well. As nice as the property appers from the outside I am sure the house has been very well maintained.

      Delete
  8. oh boy, subdivisions... can't stop "progress", I guess. Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I love your blog I have yet to vist the east coast except on bussiness trips. I need to get over to New England in the next few years to see the beauty. I have subscibed to your blog.

      Delete
  9. The history of the barns is very interesting, but the fate of the house has me wondering... will it be destroyed to make more room for the subdivision? It looks to be in great shape. I do hope it's saved!

    Thank you for joining in 2012 & hope you'll return for a Happy New Year in 2013! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they already destroyed it. there really is only room for about 2 or 3 homes, but i dont think there going to do that.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by, I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...